Our Christmas Lager
Heat 10 qts water and pale malt to 122F, hold for 30 minutes.
Add 3 qts boiling water to raise mash temp to 140F.
Stir in maize flakes. Hold at 140F for 15 minutes.
Raise temp to 158F and hold for 30 minutes.
Mash out at 168F for 5 minutes.
Sparge with 170F water to collect 6 1/2 gallons. Boil for 90 minutes.
Add whole juniper berries to kettle for 60 minute boil.
Added grated orange peel (just the orange part, no white) and
the orange segments from half an orange to the kettle for the
final 15 minutes. Cool wort and add yeast. Once fermentation
is visible, add grated orange peel and segments from another
half an orange (sanitize in 170F water for 15 minutes, if desired).
Ferment at 52F. Bottle and lager at 33F for 2 months.
- 7 3/4 lbs Briess 2-row pale malt
- 2 1/2 lbs Flaked Maize
- 2.0 oz Mt. Hood hop pellets (3.6%AA) (60 min)
- 1.0 oz German Hallertau hop pellets (2.6%AA) (60 min)
- 2 tsps Juniper berries (60 min)
- 1/2 orange (15 min)
- 1/2 orange (primary)
- 1 tsp Irish moss (15 min)
- BrewTek Original Pilsner Yeast
OG = 1.064